Busy Fitness

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Physical Fitness Assessment Questionnaire

Brad King and Dr. Michael Schmidt in “Bio Age, Ten Steps to a Younger You” (Macmillan, Canada, 2001) have devised a questionnaire for assessing physical damage to a body as a result of no exercise. We will borrow some of their guidelines, which we will summarize here:

Start with the question, “How do I look?” Do any of these answers apply to you?

  • Am I overweight, looking like an apple or pear?
  • Do I have a spare tire around my waist?
  • Has my skin become excessively dry, almost paper-thin?

Next, ask: “How do I feel?”
  • Do my joints hurt before or after any physical exertion?
  • Am I constantly worried and anxious?
  • Do I feel tired and sluggish most of the time?

Do I suffer from mood swings?
  • Last question, “How am I doing?”
  • Are simple walking and climbing stairs difficult?
  • Do I have problems concentrating?
  • Is running impossible for me now?
  • Am I unable to sit straight, preferring to slouch or stoop my shoulders?

You’ve completed your basic assessment. Note, however, that other exercise or fitness gurus will have their own parameters or indices for assessing your body’s overall state and one isn’t better than the other.

As long as they include all dimensions of the self – physical, psychological and mental – they are as valid as the next person’s assessment charts.

>>> Check out the best guide on Fitness and Nutrition: "Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle".

>>> You can read the full review of "Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle" here!